Search
  • Olivier S.E. Courtois

What Legacy Will You Leave Behind?

Updated: Dec 22, 2020

In most organizations, financial performance is a key measure of success. It guarantees their survival, enables investments, and keeps investors flocking. Yet, research shows that 35% of a CEO’s legacy is defined by financial performance, with the remaining 65% by non-financial criteria. Stakeholders, employees are not entirely creatures of logic. Emotions often take the lead, including in the apparently most rational decisions. Let’s focus on employees. Sure, a job is a breadwinner, and employees prefer to work in a well-managed, successful business that in an ailing one. Yet, it doesn’t mean that they enjoy working for brilliant robots. What makes them tick, what gives them the positive energy is not (only) a brilliant annual report – most of them don’t even read them – but a sense of using their full potential, growing their skills, working on and for something that makes sense, bonding with inspiring people and being recognised, not only financially. This requires a certain culture. Leaders have a role to play in establishing a culture of trust and commitment vs. a culture of fear and obligation. Not only through polished corporate communications, but by being role models. What legacy will you leave behind?

#leadership #culture #trust #commitment

0 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

The Paradox of Resilience: Going Slow and Fast!

What has become clearer to you in one year? Over the last few weeks, I have had the opportunity to listen to many leaders, managers and employees. What they say, on a positive note: we lose less time

Crisis: Danger & Opportunity!

The word 'crisis' in Chinese is composed of two characters: 危机 The first one, 'danger', symbolizes a man on the edge of the precipice. The second, 'chance' or 'opportunity'. These moments of crisis te

 

©2020 - OlivierCourtois.com