Do People Trust You? Here Is A Test For You To Check!
Updated: Aug 11
* In his book ‘The Trust Equation’, David Maister defines trust with an equation: Credibility + Reliability + Intimacy / Self-Focus.
* C is determined by your past achievements, degrees, reputation, or factors like looks, demeanor.
* R refers to how people believe you will stick to your commitments.
* I indicates how comfortable people are with you, how close they feel with you.
* SF is linked to self-interest, do people perceive you as driven by your own agenda?
> Take an important stakeholder for your success!
> How would s/he rate you on each factor on a scale of 1 to 10?
> For the numerators, the higher the scores, the better. For the denominator, the lower the score, the better.
> Add the scores of three numerators. Best possible score 3 X 10=30.
> Divide by the denominator (SF) (10 max).
> Repeat the same exercise with all your key stakeholders. Respond honestly. If you are not sure, go and ask them?
* This exercise requires some courage. It is also a test of self-awareness. It is one of the best tools I know to evaluate and work on your relationships and optimize the impact you have on your teams, organization, and external stakeholders.